Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mind your manners

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.  If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."
-Emily Post

Learning all about etiquette and manners is one thing I love learning.  The love began when I started working at Dandy Lions Gifts almost two years ago.  Working at this gift and stationery boutique is where my dear friend and dare I call her my "boss" began to share her love of Emily Post and her knowledge of proper etiquette with me.  She has taught me tons about wedding etiquette, bridal/baby shower etiquette, invitation etiquette, and basically everyday etiquette! As my friends are beginning to get married and do "real world" stuff (stuff...not very proper), I find it a compliment that people expect me to know what they should say, how they should dress, and what is o.k. or not o.k. to do.  So, I am going to start a new section of my blog where I will share an etiquette tip that Joy or Emily Post have taught me or that I have found in my research.  I will leave you with the first tip!  This comes from my favorite book in my small, little library in my room,  How to be a Lady.  You might find this interesting next time you visit a cinema, play, or church.

"When a lady makes her way down a row in a crowded theater she faces the people who are already in their seats.  A lady never forces others to stare at her backside."

This is one of my favorites because it caught my attention.  I would have never in a million years thought of this, but now, I cannot forget it every time I walk down a row to my seat.

1 comment:

Joy said...

OH STEPH!!!

Boss, I am not ... Dear Friend --- I am honored!

I have obviously been away from blog-o-world for a while, and just clicked on my favorite UT gal!

I am missing you terribly while you are in the Magical World of Disney - hurry home with your cute Mickey Mouse ears and tell me all about it!

xoxox

PS - this tid bit of etiquette is GREAT! I never would have known this either, but now, not only will I hide my backside at the movies, I will think of you each time too!